nGlide 0.92 Diablo II (Diablo 2)

General discussion about nGlide.
CoyoteWAN

nGlide 0.92 Diablo II (Diablo 2)

Post by CoyoteWAN »

I understand this version is relatively new, but I noticed it added support for Diablo 2 & Diablo 2: LOD.

Currently, I have two mods installed (latest MedianXL and latest PlugY, just checked) which only requires patchD2.dll to be changed plus PlugY requires you to use PlugY.exe which loads mod and then runs Diablo II.exe.

I have tried multiple Glide-to-OpenGL wrappers with little success mostly because of my unique system, which I will provide below.

System Info:
Toshiba Laptop U205-5058
Core 2 Duo Mobile Processors (Speed matters not)
Intel Mobile Chipset 945GM this is where my great Mobile Onboard Graphics Card lies ((cough))
4 GB of RAM (it looks like only 3 GB are useable not sure why)
Random Crap

(of course if you really want to know you can look up specs at Toshiba, the only non-manufacture item in the Laptop is the RAM)

Software Info:
Diablo II: LOD v1.12 downloaded from www.battle.net, installed and runs fine under Direct3D (low FPS for MedianXL) and DirectDraw (low graphics quality).
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

If there is any info someone could provide about how to get Glide working I would appreciate it.

A few questions I have for the developer are:

Should / does having mods cause problems for Diablo II: LOD matter?
Does window mode work along with fullscreen?
How have you tested Diablo II in the past?
Is there a tool that could easily verify if your nGlide installed correctly? (A demo that uses all / most of the functions that you implemented for Glide3.)
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: nGlide 0.92 Diablo II (Diablo 2)

Post by Zeus »

If there is any info someone could provide about how to get Glide working I would appreciate it.
What exactly is wrong? Can you provide the screenshots?

Is option '3Dfx Glide' active (below DirectDraw and Direct3D option) in D2VidTst.exe?
If yes, nGlide is installed correctly. Folder 'x:\Windows\SystemWOW64\' should contain glide2x.dll and glide3x.dll files.
Should / does having mods cause problems for Diablo II: LOD matter?
Yes, it could, but the most probably thing is your graphics card didn't fully support DirectX 9.0 (if '3Dfx Glide' option is active). I will test the game with these mods and I'll post the results (with GeForce 9800 GT).
Does window mode work along with fullscreen?
No.
How have you tested Diablo II in the past?
Of course. Diablo 2 and Diablo 2: LOD were tested. Otherwise it wouldn't be marked as 'playable'.
Is there a tool that could easily verify if your nGlide installed correctly? (A demo that uses all / most of the functions that you implemented for Glide3.)
Yes, there is Glide3 SDK. You can run 30+ demos and compare with screenshots provided in
\galleries\nglide category.
CoyoteWAN

Post by CoyoteWAN »

Zeus wrote:What exactly is wrong? Can you provide the screenshots?
Error 23: A critical error has occured while trying to initialize Glide.
Zeus wrote:Is option '3Dfx Glide' active (below DirectDraw and Direct3D option) in D2VidTst.exe?
Yes, and it is selected.
Zeus wrote:If yes, nGlide is installed correctly. Folder 'x:\Windows\SystemWOW64\' should contain glide2x.dll and glide3x.dll files.
Yes they exist in SystemWOW64.
Zeus wrote:Yes, it could, but the most probably thing is your graphics card didn't fully support DirectX 9.0 (if '3Dfx Glide' option is active). I will test the game with these mods and I'll post the results (with GeForce 9800 GT).
If you could also post which O/S your running that would be great.

What is the issue with window mode for Diablo II? Why does it cause issues with your wrapper?
Zeus wrote:Yes, there is Glide3 SDK. You can run 30+ demos and compare with screenshots provided in
\galleries\nglide\ category.
I will definitely look into that can you give me any additional links to where I would find Glide3 SDK your using. I would think they are all the same, but never know these days with unsupported technology.

Thanks, again for your time.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

where I would find Glide3 SDK
Check http://falconfly.de/.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Error 23: A critical error has occured while trying to initialize Glide.
OK. Tested. Error 23 means that your graphics card is not compatible with DirectX 9, so you won't be able to play any games with this GPU. All tests from SDK will also fail. :(
CoyoteWAN

Post by CoyoteWAN »

And yet Windows 7 x64 says I am DirectX 11 Compatible, and I can run diablo in Direct3D which is at least DirectX 6 and I can run SimCity 4 which should be DirectX 9.0c, plus a ton of other games including WoW!

Trust me my card is every bit capable of DirectX 9, I looked up the error code and got 23 was an issue with Glide 3dfx. ...
CoyoteWAN

Post by CoyoteWAN »

This was the info I found ...

error 1: Diablo II: Lord of Destruction is unable to proceed. Please run D2VidTst and try again.

error 21: A critical error has occurred while initializing windowed mode.

error 22: A critical error has occurred while initializing DirectDraw.

error 23: A critical error has occurred while initializing Glide.

error 24: A critical error has occurred while initializing OpenGL.

error 25: A critical error has occurred while initializing Direct3D.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

got 23 was an issue with Glide 3dfx
Yes, this is Glide error, but you are using Glide wrapper, right?
So any Glide calls are translated to DirectX 9.
Trust me my card is every bit capable of DirectX 9
No, it's not. It has basic DirectX 9 support. To play with nGlide you must have GPU with 100% DirectX 9 support.
And yet Windows 7 x64 says I am DirectX 11 Compatible
It's not. 'Compatible' means hardware support, not software processing. It's not the same.
If this GPU would be DirectX 11 compatible you could play games like Dirt 2 from Codemasters or upcoming Crysis 2 from Crytek.
CosmicDan

Post by CosmicDan »

Thought I'd mention - Median XL is buggy under Diablo II 3DFX. It's the case with a native Voodoo 2 aswell. No idea how the MOD creator buggered that up...

And yeah, nothing personal but saying an Intel GMA is 100% D3D9 compatible made me :lol: sorry! I think VMWare Player 3's Direct3D emulation might even be more compatible! Albeit much slower heh.

EDIT: I feel like re-playing Diablo II + LOD again, its been a year or so, hence I will do some testing too :)

Athlon X2 5200+, 2GB DDR-800, nVidia 9600GT, Win2008 R2 x64 (same as Win7).
Regards, Dan a.k.a "Jonus Conrad"
jonus.me/ || twitter.com/jonusc || facebook.com/jonusc
ruthan

Re: Qemu 3dfx

Post by ruthan »

I now that big necropost, but i met exactly same error with Diablo II demo and Windows 98 Qemu virtual with 3dfx patch from KJLIEW.

There are original system requirements:
Graphics Card DirectX™ compatible video card

There is not mentioned directX version, but regarding of DirectX release dates: https://microsoft.fandom.com/wiki/DirectX , it would be direct 6/7 games.

Qemu virtual is using VBE9x driver has not any DD acceleration available.. but for 3Dfx mode if im not wrong only glide driver should be used and its should be fine, maybe this check is misleading, wrong and we only need to skip it.. or some true positive result of it.